Friday, July 1, 2011

Portland, Maine


As a self-declared foodie (Lucky for me it's also part of my job description!), one of my favorite things to do is explore restaurants and local food. One of the most overlooked and underrated, in my opinion, foodie location is Portland, Maine. It's hard not to be when you are located inches away from multiple harbors where fresh seafood flows in hourly.

Add to that the cobblestone streets, brick buildings and down-to-earth vibe and you have an area overflowing with great places to eat. The charm of most of the places in Portland is the we've been here forever, hole-in-the-wall feel. 

Rob Evans, the local celebrity chef has recently brought some light to the area when he won a James Beard Award in 2009 for his restaurant, Hugo's (Another JBA was won in 2002 for Fore Street & it's chef). Yet, even with this recent addition of a JBA, Portland is still overlooked. With that, I want to present you with a few local food favorites from this amazing city.

Street and; Co.


Five Fifty-five


Duck Fat




The Porthole Restaurant



Sebago Brewing Company

3 comments:

  1. Not so overlooked lately. . . http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/dining/16chefs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

    http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/travel/22hours.html

    http://www.visitmaine.com/restaurants/award-winning_chefs/portland_maine_a_food_network/

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/style/tmagazine/t_l_2195_2197_portland_.html?pagewanted=all

    Love what you two are doing. . .if you weren't so far away, we could pair up with photography and design. Sending lots of Maine love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been noticing the uptick of interest in Portland, it is much deserved! I'd love to pair up sometime and feature some of your beautiful photography. I'm currently working with a friend in Melbourne to do this and it has been a lot of fun collaborating. I'll look around and see if there are a few places we'd love the inside scoop/photos on and let you know. Let me know if you'd be interested!

      Delete
  2. Great read! My goal is to get one or more of my tables (rustic in style) in the Old Port, among anywhere else! haha. www.facebook.com/FlagstaffFurnitureCo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...